Since Capitalism in America evidently isn’t going anywhere for a hot minute, I thought I’d craft some fundamental principles that I’m looking for more of in employment engagements. Feel free to use these on your next application or job posting. ;-)
- Nourish the well-rounded human being by exploring a diversity of interests and experiences outside of the traditional boundaries of business.
- Cultivate real relationships of intimacy and trust through honest, ethical business practices and transparency.
- Deeply pursue research topics that stir the passions and spark the imagination. Unique synaptic leaps occur, radical new visions transpire, and it’s good to have something to talk about other than work.
- Go above and beyond. Be generous of time and expertise with a persistent focus on being of service. Surprise people with boundless helpfulness and egregious generosity.
- Where there is a need, fill it. Where there is a pain point, address it. Any asshole can point out the problems; find the solutions.
- Practice self-care through a healthy lifestyle and excellent life/work balance. Seriously, workaholism went out of style in the 90’s.
- Through relationships, networking, and a fundamental belief in the abundance of the universe, fearlessly connect people and businesses that will benefit, whether or not there is a personal benefit.
- Create the biggest think-tank imaginable for the maximum good of the most people. The answers are not in any one person, they are in all people.
- Share. Pass the dutchie of knowledge at every opportunity. The power of positive influence is not proprietary.